Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Week In Review Cardboard Style

So this has been a fairly fun week for me with all the stuff I've gotten. I had my three boxes of the new Star Wars release that I had pre-ordered get here on Friday. I got my packs of the new 5finity release Hack/Slash on Monday and today I got my box from I Am Joe Collector with the results of the Philadelphia case split. Good Lord I'm not even sure where to start.... ok, let's go from today backwards.

Philadelphia case results. As I'm sure many of you saw we got an amazing case of Philly. It included autos of Harvin, Allen and Sanchez. Unfortunately in the randomization process I didn't end up with any of them, oh well. I did get the 5x7 box topper auto of Brandon Pettigrew and regular autos of Matt Forte and Jerry Porter, who is a redemption for some reason. No huge names on the jersey cards but I did get one of the buybacks. A 1964 cards of the Giants Dick Lynch. It's not a valuable card by any means but I love buybacks. I'm hoping to either get in another case split or save up enough to get a case for myself sometime. I really like the design of the '09 Philly, and I have a bunch of short-prints I still need to finish out my set.


So now on the Friday. I had pre-ordered three boxes of Star Wars The Clone Wars: Rise of the Bounty Hunters a couple months ago and they finally showed up. The cards to look for are the one per box sketch cards and if you're lucky you might get an extra hit of an animator sketch. I pulled everything I was supposed to and no extra cards. My sketches were all nice but I would have liked more color in them. I pulled a Shelli Paroline, a Lawrence Snelly and a Brent Engstrom. Brent's card was my favorite but was also damaged by the infamous roller at Topps. No damage to the sketch itself but something like that should NEVER happen. I'm not sending the card in to be replaced instead selling it as is on E-bay. I might pick up a few favorite cards but I'm not planning on any more boxes of this. I'll be saving for the Galaxy 6 release coming in 2011.



Now back to Monday and Hack/Slash. This is 5finity's newest release based off of a comic series. It's not a series I'm very familiar with so I actually picked up a couple back issues last month to see why Steve and 5finity chose their subject. The main characters are Cassie Hack and her partner Vlad who hunt slashers, click here for more info on the comic. I ordered five packs and pulled five great cards. 5finity gets some of the best artists and work out there for their sets. I pulled cards by Mike Norton, Josh Flower, Jon Riggle, Robin Thompson and rare artist Tony Scott. The Thompson and the Scott are my favorites. The Riggle made me laugh when I pulled it since Jon is know for his female drawings more then his male. I mentioned this to him the other night and he commented back that he figured he'd get that response to the Vlad's that he drew. It's a great card either way and I can't wait to see more of his work for official sketch card sets.


I also picked up a few more of the Topps Chrome football value packs and a couple blasters. Nothing real huge in the value packs but do now have a completed page of the orange refractors. In the blasters I got all kinds of x-fractors and managed to pull a purple refractor of Percy Harvin then in the last pack I got a great surprise, one MOJO should be familiar with, an Aaron Hernandez autograph! Can't argue with that at all. Hernandez is playing well and I got a hobby box hit at less then half the price. Here's a look at the auto and a couple completed pages of joy from Chrome.



Hope everybody else had as good of a week as I've had this past one. Now if the Giants can finish out this last half inning I'll even had the World Series I want to see. (Thanks to the Rangers for beating the "Best Team Money Can Buy"!!) Oh.... and GO VIKINGS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment